Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dirt: The Window Cleaner's Friend

One of these days they may invent a window that never needs cleaning. Until they do, however, window cleaners will always be around. There are times when I'm cleaning a window and someone will invariably say something like "You know, it's just going to get dirty again." And I just look at them, smile and say, "I'm counting on it."

Dirt on the glass is one thing I can always count on. It doesn't matter how clean I get the window, the next time I return it will be dirty. How dirty depends on how long it's been between cleanings. Dirt is a fact of life for windows. It comes from everywhere: rain, vehicles, birds, wind, people...all contribute their share. Sometimes it's very visible and sometimes you can only detect it in the right light.

So how does this relate to life? You know the saying, "s***t happens"? I think we are like windows in that we run into a lot of "dirt" in the course of everyday life. We pick it up from a variety of places. Relationships are a prime source. We have a fight with a friend or spouse. We say hurtful things that have a way of sticking on others. You get the idea.

Because we all pick up dirt, self-inflicted and otherwise, we need a regular visit from a "window cleaner." What kind of window cleaner? Thanks for asking. Before sharing my particular thoughts I'd like to hear yours. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure the answer to your query will be the same for everyone; at least it shouldn't be. And I must return to my feeling that imperfections (including dirt and grime) add character. At the risk of blending metaphors, think of the cast iron skillet: These are cooking utensils (that we put food in, for God's sake!) that we are instructed not to clean. Give it a swish and a rinse but do NOT scrub them out. Why? Because all that accumulation of flavors and spices makes magic. I draw no conclusions. As someone much wiser has said: One plants the seed and one waters. Now if some s**t will happen, maybe something will grow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken. What about the dirt that just makes us stink?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One man's stink is another man's ambrosia.

    ReplyDelete