Friday, February 20, 2009

Part 2


Ok, so it's time to wrap this up. (Thanks Mott for taking time to comment. Your insights are always right on.)

One of my favorite Biblical stories is the one about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. (See John 11) As the narrative goes, Lazarus has been dead for a few days by the time Jesus reaches his tomb. The first thing that Jesus does is cry. He has empathy for those who are in deep sorrow. Next, He calls Lazarus to come out and lo and behold he does. In those days the body was prepared for burial by wrapping it up in spice laden fabric so as to reduce the odor and help mitigate the decaying process for as long as possible. So in my mind's eye, when Jesus calls Lazarus to come out of the tomb, I see him hopping out wrapped up like a mummy. It's kind of a comical scene when you think about it. I imagine him "waking up" and going "What the...?"

I love what Jesus said next. It doesn't seem like a big deal at first glance but I think it's huge on a relational scale. He tells the people there to take off his grave clothes and let him go. Lazarus was back from the dead but still bound up in stinky grave clothes. The miraculous power of God needed the relational help of the community to make him fully alive and free.

The dirty spots on the window glass of my life sometimes acts as grave clothes that bind me up. Like I said before, some of the dirt is self-inflicted and some from other sources. It could be as small as a rotten attitude or critical spirit and as big as a severe wound delivered through abuse. Doesn't matter. What does matter is my belief in a power greater than myself to bring me out of my dark tomb and a community of friends who will help me shed the vestiges of death through their honest, faithful friendship.

3 comments:

  1. Happy to help you with your grave clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may: Sometimes that power greater than myself is a chance comment or glance from a friend. You, sir, (at a recent CV rehearsal) took me beyond myself and shined a gentle light on a stinky (grave-cloth) attitude. Your simple "hey dude" was enough. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Don,

    John and I are proud of you. Huge decision, tough road. We're here to support your journey. Actually we should be doing this right beside you. We just had this converation last night. Looking forward to watching you reach your goal!

    ReplyDelete