Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Journey: Day 1

All in all, today was a very good day. For breakfast I had the scrambled eggs. They were surprisingly tasty considering it was a packet of "eggs" mixed with water and microwaved for about 90 seconds. They reminded me of the kind of eggs in a cheap breakfast buffet or the kind you used to get on an airplane. The taste and texture were appealing so I'm happy.

My meals for the rest of the day consisted of a chocolate "shake" drink, a chocolate crispy bar, cinnamon pretzels, a snack of ranch-flavored soy crisps, broiled chicken with asparagus and green beans, and a cup of hot chocolate.

I haven't experience a lot of hunger during the day and my energy level was about what it usually is. Just when the hunger started to come it was time for another small meal which was surprisingly filling. The meals are high in protein and fiber and low in carbohydrates which helps you feel full after eating. My biggest challenge during the day was cleaning the windows of one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. It smelled so good! I was glad when I was finished.

The approach to the Medifast program is to get your body into a fat-burning state. It takes about 72 hours on the program to achieve this. So, the first three days are probably going to be the toughest in terms of adjustment. I've been cautioned to expect some tiredness, headaches, hunger pangs and lightheaded feelings. I can report that I have experienced some faint hunger and a little bit of a headache this evening.

I think the mental aspect of this program will undoubtedly be the biggest challenge. There are many foods that I now can't have (at least temporarily) which makes me want them all the more. That's what happens in any effort at discipline which requires denial. It requires commitment and the focus on a goal to overcome the mental obstacles that crop up. Not only does my body need to be re-shaped, so does my mind. This is why support is so critical to any endeavor that requires great change. So in addition to changing what I eat, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about nutrition and support mechanisms that are available to me. Also, I certainly will count on those of you who are my friends to cheer me on. On to day 2....
++++

No comments:

Post a Comment