Friday, February 18, 2011

Turbulence

I don't fly a lot but I have flown many times. It is rare that I have taken a flight with absolutely no turbulence. It has happened once or twice that I've had a smooth flight from beginning to end. However, on most flights there has been the occasional bumpy ride through portions of the flight. It usually comes without warning. Everything is going smoothly then bang, we hit the pothole in the air. It's unsettling and annoying but usually only temporary.

This past week I've run into turbulence with my diet. Everything was going so smoothly then, bump...bump...hunger pangs, cravings, fatigue, temptation to cheat... all suddenly appeared to rattle my smooth ride. I began to think about food all the time. I could smell the food that I saw advertised on TV. (Why are there so many fast food commercials on late in the evening?) I started to think of ways I could cheat. I even briefly entertained the thought of giving up completely. Briefly.

But I persisted. I didn't cheat and I didn't stop. I've stayed the course. The reward has come in seeing the number on the scale decrease ever so slightly each time I weigh in. I kept constantly reminding myself of my goal and the fact that I have made myself accountable to others to reach it. So, turbulence will just have to be endured on this trip even though it is unsettling and annoying.

Then today I broke into clear "air". The bumpy ride smoothed out as suddenly as it began. It started when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had dropped another pound. (I've lost 12 lbs in my first 10 days) Throughout the day I have experienced more energy and feelings of vitality than ever before. My mental state has turned to positive and I have regained the focus I began to lose. It short, today has been fantastic!

Will there be more turbulence? Probably. The ride has just begun and I'm still a good ways from reaching my destination. But today has taught me that it's only temporary and it's part of the journey. There are also some important lessons to be learned by going through the turbulence and that's the focus of my next post. Till then, thanks for reading and feel free to share your own thoughts about the kinds of turbulence you face on your journey and how you manage them.

No comments:

Post a Comment